New post, new picture and an archived recipe for Srivalli’s Microwave Easy Cooking (MEC) Event. The theme for this month is Chocolate and what better than Chocolate Strawberries, to make my debut into MEC events! I use my microwave purely for reheating food and to boil milk, for making yogurt. I don’t use it for cooking and hence, never participated in these events so far. Hope I will use it more often for cooking and participate more in MEC events.
When I first posted this recipe back in June, I tried piping the chocolate strawberries with white chocolate. When I prepared these strawberries last week, I did not. Also, this time, I used toothpicks to handle the strawberries. I inserted the toothpick in the center of the strawberry, which made it easy to dip it in the chocolate and also easy to eat holding the toothpick, without making a mess of my hands.
Total Time: 2 ½ hours
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Setting Time: 2 hours
- 16 oz Strawberries
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1-2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- ¼ cup White Chocolate chips for decoration(opt)
Ready to refrigerate for the chocolate coating to harden
- Wash the strawberries and pat dry with paper towel.
- Line a cookie sheet or a platter with wax paper
- In a microwave safe bowl, take the semi-sweet chocolate chips and heat it for 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave, add vegetable oil and mix well until the chips are completely melted.
- Dip each strawberry in the melted chocolate so that 3/4ths of the strawberry is coated.
- Put it on the wax paper and continue dipping all the strawberries.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, melt ¼ cups of white chocolate and fill it in a ziploc bag.
- Squeeze all the chocolate to one end/corner of the bag to form a cone. Make a small cut at the tip of the bag. Squeeze the chocolate forward and pipe the chocolate coated strawberries .
- Put the strawberries in the fridge for 2 hours to let the chocolate coating harden.
- Remove from the fridge 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Use ripe but firm strawberries.
- Finish the chocolate strawberries in 48 hours of preparation.
- Microwave settings vary. Don’t over heat the chocolate. Very thin mixture of melted chocolate doesn’t coat the strawberries well. If the mixture is too thin, add some vegetable oil or shortening. Don’t use butter. Moisture in the butter doesn’t let the chocolate coat the strawberries.